Sunday, March 4, 2012

Blog 8: Monogamy

Ok so there seems to be a lot of debate about monogamy and I just wanted to share some ideas and perhaps play devil’s advocate. I feel like the concept of monogamy has been ingrained into our society and I wonder what we would think if we had not grown up with it as a part of our history. For instance, take fundamental Mormons who are a part of polygamous families. Because their faith includes the idea of polygamy, many Mormons seem to have no problem with it. I would like you to consider the television show Big Love (here is the trailer to the final season with spoilers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgVT4CYsMRc but it details the struggles of an open polygamy family and how intricate their relationships are). I think that it does an excellent role in explaining the benefits of polygamy and making polygamists relate to monogamous couples. It also shows strong women, who consider themselves righteous; who are polygamous. It really makes you think about your life and how your judgments can affect other people. In my opinion, polygamy is simply another way a life. I have no right to say whether or not someone should be allowed to have multiple partners. I mean there are plenty of couples who decide to partake in different sexual escapades, and that makes them happy. Why should I stand in the way of someone’s happiness? On the other hand, I think that I want to be monogamous because my parents are committed only to each other. I wouldn’t really know how to handle being in a polygamous relationship just because I have never been exposed to one. I think that because of the way our society functions, with such an emphasis on monogamy, I could not handle being polygamous. As a shy person, I really want the support of one partner, one person who I can rely on. For instance, I only have one best friend. She is always there for me and I am always there for her. There is never any jealousy because we know that we are first in our relationships with one another. Monogamy is a really interesting topic to think about. Would we be monogamous if everyone else was polygamous? 

1 comment:

  1. I know couples that partake in open relationships, but none that are lasting. Couples that are true, couples that actually stay together (and are dating) cannot be committed and be sleeping around. There would be jealousy.
    If everyone else would polygamous, if everyone else was living lives of open relationships, just having children out of wedlock for instance, than I would do just the same. I think in the long run I will be in a polygamous relationship but for now, I don't think I could be in a monogomous relationship and get along with just my one partner, to be perfectly honest. I am adventurous, want success, and see polygamy as a way of life that is kind of interesting, for now that is.

    ReplyDelete